Saturday 18 August 2018

Magical Skomer Island

Hello, I’m Ellie, one of the two Long-Term volunteers (LTVs). I arrived on Skomer nearly four weeks ago and am here till the end of September. I’m absolutely loving it – each day I can’t believe I’m lucky enough to call this amazing island home for the summer. There have been so many highlights and new experiences just in these few short weeks it’s hard to know where to begin…

As well as welcoming day visitors and introducing them to the island’s wildlife in the morning and co-ordinating boat departures in the afternoon, early activities included learning to drive the tractor to transport the luggage of overnight guests up to the hostel, and manning the telescope at the Wick to show visitors close-up views of breeding kittiwakes, fulmars, razorbills and guillemots, and, of course, the ever-popular puffin (no telescopes required for them).

                                                    Ellie enjoying the Skomer puffins


While on Skomer, each LTV has their own project to complete, and while I am here I will be looking at plastic ingestion by Manx shearwaters. I am collecting the carcasses of dead Manxies from around the island, and dissecting them to see whether they contain any macro-plastic (pieces large enough to see). I am also collecting samples of prey items, stomach contents and pre-faeces for micro-plastics analysis at the University of Gloucestershire. Dissection and plastic ingestion are new areas of study for me so I am learning a lot.

I have also been lucky enough to get involved with a variety of other fieldwork projects. A number of studies are being carried out on the Manx shearwater population on Skomer, and I have assisted with catching adults at their burrows during the night to fit and retrieve GPS trackers, chick weighing (which is done every day at selected study burrows), and chick ringing to allow future monitoring of the population. I have helped to monitor kittiwake nests to record the numbers and sizes of chicks, and have helped to catch and ring juvenile lesser black-backed gulls and carry out re-sighting surveys to determine their productivity this year. I have assisted with gull diet surveys around great black-backed gull nests to see what they have been eating and feeding to their chicks, and with night-time catching and ringing of storm-petrels to monitor their population. I have been learning my butterflies and helping out on the weekly butterfly transect survey, and also helped with the moth trap, rock-pooling, vole trapping, and reptile transects which has involved encounters with beautiful moths, anemones, sucker-fish, eels, Skomer voles and slow-worms. I am in wildlife heaven!

                                                       Ellie helping researchers weigh
                                                           manx shearwater chicks


Learning to walk carefully around the burrows to carry out the monitoring work has been one of my most nerve-wracking experiences – the island is so fragile, like a honeycomb with all the puffin and rabbit burrows as well as those of the Manxies – and it is a real skill to do this with confidence.

Other activities so far have included a trip to the mainland to collect new gas bottles for North Haven and the farm – all our cooking is done on gas and this is an important and physically demanding task (the full gas bottles are very heavy). Getting to drive the RIB across Jack Sound was a big highlight! We had another trip out on the RIB in the evening to see the rafts of Manx shearwaters out on the water, and went fishing - I caught my first ever fish, a mackerel, which I duly gutted and cooked… very tasty!

My favourite wildlife encounters since I’ve been here have included:

·         Seeing my first ever porpoise – off Skomer Head – and then some more when I was coming back across on the Dale Princess with my food shopping.

·         Hearing the Manx shearwaters come in to the island about 11pm with their wonderful haunting, eerie cries, and seeing the sky full of flying shapes, and watching them scurry across the ground in the red light of my torch. I can even hear them from my bed at night, and it’s the most amazing sound, one I will never forget.

·         Seeing the grey seals starting to come in, and the first pup in Castle Bay on the Neck, and hearing their wailing calls while standing on the cliffs at North Haven.

I reckon sailors in olden days shipwrecked in the pitch dark on an island like this, surrounded by wailing seals and haunting shearwater cries must have been terrified...its a truly magical place!





Ellie Ames
Skomer Island Long term Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment